Thousands will come together, real soon, for the 48th annual Southampton Days festival celebrating Independence Week with events on land and in the sky.
“We’re gearing up and ready for another great Southampton Days,” said Stephanie Miller, vice president, Southampton Days Committee. “The theme this year is ‘Come Together.’”
The popular five-day festival, in Southampton’s Tamanend Park, 1255 Second Street Pike, runs July 1 through July 6 and features amusement rides, concerts, games and food. On July 4, a parade along the Pike starts at 9:30 a.m. and runs from Jaymor Road north to Tamanend, and fireworks begin there at 9:30 p.m.
“There will be a parade grand marshal, but the name hasn’t yet been revealed,” said Miller.
The fair’s highlights include a dog show, talent show, designer bag bingo, an eating contest and 5k run. On the 4th, the fair opens at 6 p.m. with a $3 general admission; free for children three and younger. Free bus rides to the park begin at 6 p.m. from area shopping centers; area roads close at 7 p.m. Handicap parking and rides from Davisville Baptist Church.
Daily spotlights include:
• Monday, July 1: What Not Farm Petting Zoo; Andrews Big Show (family variety show), and musical shows by “Tri-County Band” and “The Zings.”
• Tuesday, July 2: Family Night and table vendors; Lolly Hopwood & Friends; Interactive Music & Fitness for Kids, and music by “Polish American String Band’ and “River of Dreams.”
• Wednesday, July 3: Chippy the Clown Balloon Twisting, and the Talent Show.
• Friday, July 5: “Doggie Idol” dog show, and musical entertainment by “Southampton Community Band” and “Michael Christopher Band.”
• Saturday, July 6: Talent show and pie eating contest, plus “Jungle Joe’s Wildlife Adventure Retile Show,” and music by “Uptown String Band” and “School of Rock Newtown.” Designer bag bingo is 2:30 p.m., with 125 tickets at $30 each for sale now to participate. See the website at www.southamptondays.com.
Miller said lovers of amusement rides can purchase a “mega-band” for $45 that allows unlimited rides all week long. They can be bought at the Southampton Days Committee tent at the fair. Cash or credit card.