100 Years Ago

ALUMNI NOTES — The Souderton High School Alumni, dormant for the past few years, seems to be waking up at last. The revival took the form of a card party, which was held in the basement of H. S. Frederick's shoe store on February 22nd. About 35 loyal members turned out and seemed to be repaid for their fidelity by having an enjoyable evening.

TELFORD — Willis Bergey, of near this place, had the misfortune to break a rear axle in his motor car while on his way to his best girl ... Mr. and Mrs. Earnest Bumbeer entertained city friends this week. It might also be noted that Mr. Bumbeer is building a new chickenhouse on his place ... An old time spelling bee and arithmetic contest was held in the Telford school last Friday evening. We want to thank the people who helped to make this event such a big success, especially those from Silverdale. Such contests should receive the support of all the citizens. 

DUBLIN WOMEN BURNED BY EXPLODING GASOLINE — Sprayed by burning gasoline when a gasoline iron they were using exploded, last Thursday afternoon, Mrs. Elmer Loudenslager and Mrs. Martha Thierolf, of Dublin, were badly burned. Mrs. Loudenslager, whose husband is Principal of the Richboro schools, had her hair scorched off and received burns about the head and neck. Mrs. Thierolf was less seriously burned. A window was blown out and a slight fire was started, but it was controlled by Philip Musselman, who arrived early on the scene, and by the Dublin Fire Co.

SILVERDALE — Robert M. Yoder, who went west a few years ago, returned to his parental home, with Mr. and Mrs. Levi E. Yoder, having been laid off on account of dull times. Mr. Yoder has not decided as yet what he will strike at. 

AUTOIST DIES OF FUME — Gasoline fumes killed C. E. Romands, 50 years old, of Norristown, Saturday ... Romands had gone to the garage to make some repairs. Two hours later he was found dead with the motor running. Two weeks ago he was made very ill by gasoline fumes while repairing a car.

50 Years Ago

BOARD HEARS OF ICE DAMAGE — A discussion of damages resulting from flooding conditions of Sellersville's Lake Lenape Park two weeks ago highlighted the Tuesday evening meeting of the Sellersville Park and Recreation Board ... He said the flooding was abnormally wide-spread, with water extremely high and backed up because of obstructions downstream. Many of the 1,000 pound chunks of ice which sheared off small trees and damaged the bark and trunks of others were measured at nearly one foot thick.

SHS SENDS EIGHT STUDENTS TO DISTRICT BAND — The Souderton Band members selected were Gary Nace, Kitt Brady, Jay Landis, Shirley Bechtel, Dave Godshall, Charles Evans, Bill Yocum and Al Romig. 

BECKER HOME NEARS COMPLETION — The administration of the Peter Becker Memorial Home reports continuing progress in the final stages of construction at the home site in Harleysville. It is expected that within about two months, final state inspection will be held and residents will begin to be received.

TAKE FLORIDA TRIP — Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Moyer, Harleysville RD1, recently enjoyed a visit to the Sarasota Jungle Gardens while vacationing on Florida's lower west coast. Here Mr. and Mrs. Moyer mingled with flamingos and other rare and unusual wild fowl from every continent, which roam freely in these world-famous gardens. 

GROUP TO OFFER QUIT-SMOKING SESSIONS — The film 'Countdown' will be shown on the opening night. This film is highly acclaimed for its sensational scenes of a cancerous lung operation. 'Smoking Sam' will visit Souderton's Five-Day Plan enabling those attending the Plan to view first-hand the accumulation of tars and nicotine in the lungs of "Sam." 

Tags

comments powered by Disqus