CHELTENHAM >> A Philadelphia man who allegedly murdered his brother in Elkins Park committed suicide three days before his Dec. 11 preliminary hearing before District Judge Elizabeth McHugh Casey.

Cheltenham police said Monday morning that 60-year-old Jamison Bachman, who was being held without bail at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility since his Nov. 4 arrest on homicide charges, hung himself at the prison Friday night, Dec. 8.

The case was subsequently dismissed, district court personnel said Monday.

Bachman, formerly of Glenside, allegedly killed his brother, Harry Bachman, 64, of the 400 block of North Sterling Road, during an altercation the night of Nov. 3 at the victim’s home, according to an affidavit. He was arrested the next day and charged with first- and third-degree murder, theft, receiving stolen property, unauthorized use of an access device and identity theft.

Harry Bachman was found dead on the basement stairs of his home Nov. 4, after his wife, whom he was supposed to meet in Albany, N.Y., the night of Nov. 3, called police when he failed to show up, the criminal complaint says.

Montgomery County Deputy Coroner Joseph Staniszewski found blunt force injuries to Bachman’s head, including a lacerated ear, police said.

According to the account of events in the criminal complaint, Harry Bachman and his wife had recently posted bail for Jamison Bachman, who then asked if he could stay at their home, but they declined “due to his past history of violence and arrests.” Harry Bachman texted his wife the evening of Nov. 3, stating, “you know who just showed up,” indicating Jamison was at the house. Moments later, he sent another text saying he was leaving for New York, but he never arrived.

When police went to check on Bachman, they found evidence of an attack and struggle in the dining room, bloody clothing in the kitchen and blood in the kitchen and bathroom sinks, consistent with efforts “to attempt to clean up following the attack.” A trail of blood led from the home to the street in front of the home, and the Bachmans’ red 2013 Ford Escape was missing.

A credit card transaction on Nov. 3 for the Fairfield Inn and Suites was found on Harry Bachman’s cellphone, which was recovered at the scene, and when detectives went to the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Willow Grove Nov. 4, the Bachmans’ Ford Escape was in the hotel parking lot with bloody paper towels inside.

Police found Jamison Bachman registered at the hotel using his brother’s name and credit card information, and he was taken into custody without incident.

Charges of simple and aggravated assault, possession of an instrument of crime and recklessly endangering another person in connection with a May 2017 incident in Philadelphia and charges of contempt and terroristic threats filed against Bachman in August had also been pending against him, according to online court documents.

comments powered by Disqus